Wednesday, April 4, 2012

FLIPPING OUT

I don't know if my classroom would be considered flipped, but it is sure looking different today. My 7/8 class is 80 minutes long. We started class by talking about how people need mental breaks. This discussion centered around legit choices for students to make to give themselves a break. You can imagine how entertaining this was. This was followed by placing a to do list on the board prioritizing what was the most important. The major project is a group Voicethread that will be posted on their blogs (kidblog.org). I hung out for the rest of class helping as students worked. There were also a few interruptions when teachable moments popped up. Some of the best centered around students searching for legal images to use. We spent 10 minutes on how to use filters to narrow our searches. Half of us used Voicethread support to answer questions, and we figured out a few new features such as sharing work with other editors. I don't know if I could have a test show the learning that went on, but it was authentic, collaborative, and engaging. It felt like the the right thing. I am very excited to bring my growing network audience to their work very soon.

1 comment: